The Forest School Leader ‘Lorna Barker’ is an Early Years Professional and has had 25 Years experience of working with children. She also holds nationally accredited Level 3 Forest School qualification and is therefore fully trained in leading a Forest School programme and undertaking risk assessments for various Forest School activities. Lorna also has a full paediatric first aid certificate and has undertaken additional training in outdoor first aid procedures. In addition to these vocational qualifications Lorna has the following qualifications:
- BA (Hons) in English & Sociology
- MA in Social Work
- Early Years Professional Status
Prior to each Forest School session the Forest School Leader will ensure that:
- Full risk assessments have been undertaken.
- Insurance is in place.
- There is a fully charged mobile phone available.
- There is a First Aid box and accident forms available.
- There is the correct ratio of adults to children in each session.
- That a register of children attending, consent forms, contact numbers and medical forms are available each session.
- Helpers have CRB checks in place.
- That there is a portable toilet, toilet roll and hand washing facilities available.
- There is a seating area/fire pit available
- Water for drinking and fire safety purposes available.
- There is a shelter available or resources to construct a shelter if weather deteriorates.
- That there is extra clothing and footwear available if children become wet or cold.
- There are bin bags available for rubbish or for emergency insulation.
- That a range of tools are available in a clean and usable condition, and that they are kept in a secure container when not in use.
- That all policies and procedures are followed correctly throughout each Forest School session.